JAWS is "Just A Web Shell" framework developed by the Facebook IT group for running Force.com web applications on iOS (iPhone/iPad) devices.
JAWS is a "hybrid" mobile application framework that provides a native iOS application on the mobile desktop that instantiates a web browser to a Force.com web page.Prerequisites:
The Force.com-Toolkit-JAWS-for-iOS project on GitHub
includes all of the following steps and source code for building a mobile iOS app on Force.com.
1) Start in XCode by creating a new View-based iPad or iPhone application.
2) Define a UIWebView controller with a default URL of https://login.salesforce.com.
Append the retURL parameter to the URL to define which Visualforce page to load upon authentication.
3) Launch the Interface Designer and create a simple toolbar with UIWebView to emulate a basic browser UI.
4) Build and launch the iOS simulator from XCode to view the Salesforce login page loaded within the UIWebView
5) Upon login, the return URL (retURL) Visualforce page is loaded. In this case, using the jQuery Mobile
framework to display a simple mobile UI.
That's it! The native web shell runs the Visualforce directly on iOS. With some crafty mobile-friendly UI design in HTML5, the end-user may not even detect the app is actually running entirely in the cloud on Force.com!